Keep It Up! is Accepting Applications for Implementation
Keep It Up! (KIU!) is accepting applications from community-based organizations (CBO) and other HIV service organizations to implement KIU! as part of their existing HIV prevention and testing services. While the deadline for Letters of Intent has passed, we are still accepting applications regardless of whether your organization provided a Letter of Intent.
KIU!, an online e-health primary HIV prevention intervention, was recently selected by the CDC Prevention Synthesis Project as a “best evidence” HIV risk reduction intervention for diverse young men who have sex with men. The next phase of KIU! will investigate the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of providing KIU! in CBOs and other HIV service organizations throughout the United states, as compared to a direct-to-consumer delivery approach. Click here to read our Request for Proposals (RFP) to learn more about eligibility and application requirements.
To access our RFP Frequently Asked Questions, which will be updated weekly during the application period, click here.
About Keep It Up!
- Designed with guidance from ethnically diverse YMSM
- Multimedia and interactive content delivery
- Teaches useful skills for real-life scenarios
- Highly rated by participants
- Easy to use
- Accessible online
- Reinforces and expands on information provided by HIV prevention workers in time-limited interactions
- Meets CDC’s prevention grant requirement to provide comprehensive HIV-related prevention services for HIV-negative persons
- Based on the Information–Motivation–Behavioral Skills Model for HIV Preventive Behavior and principles of e-learning
- Tested in 2 efficacy trials, 1 implementation trial, and counting
- Among 901 YMSM in 3 cities, significantly reduced recent condomless anal sex from 70% to 40% in the KIU! arm
- Reductions were maintained for 12 months post intervention
- This represented a 17% greater decrease than an active control arm
- Also reduced STI rates by 40% compared to the control
|KIU! 1.0 (2009 – 2010)||Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial||102 YMSM (ages 18-24) in Chicago||Read Results|
|KIU! 1.5 (2012 – 2014)||Service Implementation||343 YMSM (ages 15-24) in Chicago||Read Results|
|KIU! 2.0 (2013 – 2017)||Randomized Controlled Trial||901 YMSM (ages 18-29) in Chicago, NY and Atlanta||Read Results|
|KIU! 2.5 (2017 – Present)||Service Implementation||Ongoing in Jackson, MS||—|
Q: Can my agency and/or I use Keep It Up! now?
A: We recently received funding from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) to make KIU! available in nearly 50 U.S. counties to community-based organizations, health departments, and young men who would like to use it. We will soon release a request for applications (RFA) for community based organizations in the eligible counties. Please sign up below to receive updates about KIU! and the upcoming RFA.
To keep up to date with the latest KIU! news, please fill out this form.